Our History

Brief History of the Club

Blackwood RFC was founded in 1889 and has been a member of the Welsh Rugby Union since 1918. The Club has steadily improved its status over the years and the First XV currently play in the First Division of the Welsh National League being one of the top 24 clubs in Wales.


The Club also runs two youth teams together with a flourishing mini and junior section providing coaching and playing facilities for 180 players at all age group levels.

In the 1960's the Club purchased an old police station and converted it for use as a clubhouse. It is situated in the middle of a residential area, not an ideal situation for either party. The Club also own their playing field at Glan- Yr-Afon with changing rooms on the ground.

In 1997 a new 800-seater stand was constructed with the capital coming from a very successful centenary year, match sponsorship and donations paying for the work which was carried out.

Blackwood was now one of only a few clubs in the Union who owned both their playing field and clubhouse on a freehold basis.

It was in 1998 that the seed was sown for the future development of Blackwood RFC with the purchasing of approximately 1.5 acres of land adjacent to its playing field at Glan-Yr-Afon from British Gas. This site also included a disused gas service centre. This property was purchased with the full support of the WRU.

In 2002 the club undertook a radical renovation of the Gas Service Centre, which as stated earlier was acquired in 1998. The Clubhouse in Hall Street was closed in the May of 2003 with the focus of developing a Clubhouse for the start of the 2003 season. The New Clubhouse opened as to plan for the start of the new season in September 2003.

Further improvements and acquirements have been made to our existing facilities, these include:

The taking of a ninety nine-year lease on the field known as "Woodfield Side" located at the front of the rugby club. This will allow rugby to be played on a field located adjacent to the Rugby Club, to be used by the Blackwood Youth, Blackwood Stars and our Mini & Junior. We also still have the use of a third field "Libanus".


An extensive renovation of the existing changing rooms. Adding another storey has added a further two changing rooms taking the total to five. The two storey building now comprises of:

Five large changing rooms, three downstairs and two upstairs. Shower facilities on both levels, with the upstairs shower areas comprising of cubicles to allow for women's rugby.

A Referee's changing room on both levels, both with separate shower facilities.

Toilets on both levels, with downstairs accommodating facilities for the disabled and upstairs separate facilities for women.

A physiotherapy/first aid room on the second level.


The upgrading of the flood lights at Glan-yr-Afon Park. Higher wattage bulbs have been installed and improved the night lighting well above the minimum standard required.


The completion of an all weather training surface. This is located between the clubhouse and the changing rooms. The all weather surface (endorsed by the WRU) will be used for all our club-training needs and also let out to other sporting organisations in the area.

|